Sponsored & Non-Sponsored External Events

External sponsored events are booked into the scheduling system by a sponsor with formal Mason affiliation, but are otherwise managed and staffed by non-Mason personnel.

External non-sponsored events are those with no formal Mason affiliation, and that are booked, managed, and/or staffed by non-­Mason personnel.

Both sponsored and non-sponsored external events are required to conduct their own employee background checks, have a formal signed contractual agreement with Mason, and must carry their own event insurance as outlined in the contractual agreement.

Sponsored & Non-Sponsored
University Events University Events is charged with scheduling space for programs, events, and camps seeking to use University programmable space at the “sponsored” rate and, for a fee, can provide other support services, including taking care of many of the steps shown below.
Background Checks Programs, events, and camps serving minors must perform background checks on all staff dealing directly with underage populations. PECs will asked to certify that they have indeed done so with a reputable background check vendor and may be audited to ensure compliance.
Risk Management Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety have processes in place to protect those attending Programs, Events, and Camps being held on campus that abide by Commonwealth and Mason policies, and that manage risk and liability. Those external clients seeking to host a PEC need to go to this link and compete the forms under ‘Externally and Service Operated Programs
Environmental Health and Safety
Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) has several resources available including the Temporary Structure Guide and Temporary Structure Permit Application, that allows events to set up tents, stages and other temporary structures. They offer fire extinguisher training, crowd management guidance, and have an approval process for those PECs that need EHS to approve their PEC.
Emergency Alerts PECs seeking to sign up for Mason emergency alerts may do so here
Camp EOP All PECs are urged to complete a Camp Emergency Plan using the attached template
Parking Services Programs, Events, and Camps hosting off campus visitors need to arrange for the visitors’ parking needs. Moreover, if a PEC will be using busses or using drop off and pickup points for PEC attendees at Mason they must coordinate these efforts through Parking Services.

A Special Event Validation Request is available here:

Click here
Food Service Programs, Events, and Camps that intend to use Dining Services various for walk-in meal options in the Johnson Center, Merten Hall, and elsewhere around Mason need to coordinate their plans with Dining Services so that several PECs do not show up at the same venue at the same time. This can greatly increase wait times. Please contact Resident Dining General Manager Daphne Miles at or 703.993.3407 or Operations Manager Mark Arnold to coordinate meal needs.
Housing Programs, Events, and Camps seeking overnight accommodations at Mason should contact Housing and Residence Life here
ITS Wireless Access Programs, Events, and Camps hosting visitors often seek wireless access to Mason networks for their guests. Information about this access can be found here
Athletics A schedule of Programs, Events, and Camps hosted by Athletics can be found here. For more information contact the camp director at 703.993.3458

Questions? Contact Buz Grover, Programs & Camps Administrator